The class involves visits to historical sites along Interstate 84. Participants will learn an array of different strategies for conducting an historical inquiry using documents (DBQ), a process mandated by New York State Social Studies Standards. A variety of methods and techniques will be presented based on the curriculum and which comply with both the Social Studies and Language Arts Standards. Included will be activities for grades 4 – high school involving maps, photographs, letters, inventory lists, and other primary source documents.
Date: September 23 – October 21, 2003 (Tuesday)
Location: various historical sites
- 9/23 Mesier Homestead, Wappinger Historical Society (includes trolley ride)
- 9/30 Van Wyck Homestead Museum, Fishkill
- 10/7 East Fishkill Historical Society
- 10/14 Mount Gulian Historical Site, Beacon
- 10/21 Washington HQ, Hasbrouck House, Newburgh
This class is being offered through the Mid-Hudson Teacher Center.