The class involves visits to historical sites in the Kingston-New Paltz area. Participants will learn an array of different strategies for conducting an historical inquiry using documents (DBQ), a process mandated by New York State Social Studies Standards. A variety of methods and techniques will be presented based on the curriculum and which comply with both the Social Studies and Language Arts Standards. Included will be activities for grades 4 – high school involving maps, photographs, letters, inventory lists, and other primary source documents.
Time: 4:00-7:00 PM
Date: September 24 – October 22, 2003 (Wednesday)
Location: various historical sites
- 9/24 Mohonk Mountain House
- 10/1 D&H Canal Museum, High Falls
- 10/8 Hudson River Maritime Museum, Kingston
- 10/15 Historic Kingston Walking Tour
- 10/22 Senate House State Historic Site and Roundout Lighthouse
This class is being offered through the Mid-Hudson Teacher Center.